Before you start
- Have your electric, gas and oil bills handy as the application requires your account numbers. You'll be asked to attach your annual electrical and gas (if applicable) usage, which you can download from your provider's website (Con Ed or NYSEG), or you may call and have them send this information. If you use oil to heat, you will have to provide an estimate of yearly usage. If you do not have a full year of data because you purchased your home within the last 12 months, your fuel is provided by various suppliers, and/or you do not have access to usage data, no problem, you’ll just need to fill out the energy usage history waiver form.
- Identify your total household income. You'll have to select an income bracket. This is used to identify the applicable subsidy for your home. Scroll down the application to identify the appropriate category.
How to apply
Why it's free or heavily subsidized
New York wants you to save money, reduce our dependence on foreign oil and reduce green house gas emissions!
To do this, until funding runs out, New York State will pay for your home energy assessment with an accredited Home Performance Professional. On home upgrades that reduce your energy use, you may be eligible for financing as low as 3.49% that you can repay directly through your utility bill with your energy savings!
If anything, here is what you'll pay
The cost of your assessment is based on your yearly household income.
If your home is single family and under 3500 sq ft and your household income is...
- Up to $215,800 → you pay $0. It’s free
- From $215,801 to $269,750 → you pay $50
- From $269,751 to $323,700 → you pay $100
- From $323,701 to $377,650 → you pay $150
- From $377,651 to $431,600 → you pay $200
- Above $431,600 → you pay market rate
For single-family homes over 3500 sq ft, and 2-4 unit dwellings, please contact us for sliding scale rates.
If you do not qualify for a full subsidy, you will pay the subsidized price to the contractor at the time of the assessment. You do not need to send any payment with your application.
What happens after you apply
1. You will receive a reservation number from NYSERDA. It typically takes 2-3 days to process the application (unless your application is incomplete).
2. You will give this reservation number to the Home Performance Professional of your choice. Each Home Performance Professional is accredited by the Building Performance Institute, to conduct comprehensive home energy assessments through NYSERDA's program. They will need your reservation number to get paid for the home assessment.
3. You'll receive a best-in-class home energy assessment through the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program.